- Category: Engineering, Information Technology
- Location: Norfolk, VA
- Employee Type: Full-Time
For Rent Media Solutions, a family of leading Internet and publishing brands (www.forrent.com), seeks a DevOps Engineer. The successful candidate will provide administrative leadership and support in the design, development, testing, and deployment of websites and web-based applications utilizing Linux, Apache, NodeJS, and PHP. We are looking for someone who can take control of our existing systems and infrastructure while helping to make decisions about new infrastructure and technologies to make it better. The successful candidate will be a team player, capable of collaborating in a fast paced, DevOps-oriented environment as well capable of working very independently with a high level of self-motivation.
- Develop and maintain automation and processes to enable teams to deploy, manage, configure, scale and monitor their applications in data centers and in cloud
- Actively participate in high level team activities such as suggesting architecture improvements, recommending process improvements and conducting tool evaluations
- System troubleshooting and problem solving across platform and application domains - will be expected to participate in on-call rotation to troubleshoot after-hours issues
- Takes ownership of end-to-end solutions provided by teams across the organization
Skills & Requirements
- BS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience) and 5+ years of solid experience as Software Engineer or Systems Administration
- Experience working in a 24x7 uptime environment.
- Solid understanding of Software Development Life Cycle, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Solid understanding and experience working with high availability, high performance, multi-data center systems and hybrid cloud environments.
- Comfortable with Agile methodologies and working closely within small teams
- Extensive knowledge of OS virtualization and containerization platforms.
- Extensive knowledge of Linux based systems including hardware, software and PHP applications
- Strong ability to troubleshoot complex issues ranging from system resources to application stack traces
- Experience with version control systems such as Git and Subversion
- Experience developing against third party APIs.
- Experience in development with Python, PHP, NodeJS or other languages
- Experience with AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud technologies.
A distinct advantage for this position would be
- Security auditing experience
- Knowledge of mail servers (sendmail and postfix)
- Strong knowledge of datastore technologies (Elasticsearch, MongoDB, Redis, Cassandra)
- Experience administering Kubernetes clusters at scale.
As professional high achievers, our successful administrators are proactive, self-motivated, work well with engineers, have a can-do team attitude, and are excellent communicators. For Rent Media Solutions offers a dynamic environment, excellent growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including a generous 401(k).
For Rent Media Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports Workplace Diversity. Drug Testing Employer.